Legal Program
Public Education
Ex-Felon Voting Rights Restoration Project
Reproductive Freedom

What We Do > Ex-Felon Voting Rights

Can Ex-Felons Restore Their Right to Vote in Alabama?
YES! There are two available ways for ex-felons to restore their right to vote. Ex-felons can either:

  • Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility to Register to Vote (CERV)
  • Apply for a Pardon

How Can Ex-Felons Apply for a Certificate or a Pardon?
Read our brochure (download) to learn whether you need a Certificate or a Pardon. If you need a Certificate, fill out this application (download) and return it to the ACLU of Alabama.  If you need a pardon, request an application from any branch office of the Board of Pardons and Paroles. The Board’s main office can be reached at (334) 353-7771 or (334) 353-8067.

For more information, call 334-265-2754 or call toll-free 866-454-VOTE (8683).

Links to other information on voting in Alabama:

Information on absentee voting: visit the Secretary of State's website >>

Information on seeking a full pardon: visit the Board of Pardons & Paroles' website >>

Downloading a Voter Registration Form: visit the Secretary of State's website >>

Finding addresses for county registrars: visit the Secretary of State's website >>


Sign up for ACLU-AL news and alerts!

© 2006 ACLU of Alabama • 207 Montgomery Street • Suite 910• Montgomery, AL 36104

About Us | What We Do | News | Membership & Support
Get Help | Contact Us | National ACLU

Learn more about the distinction between the ACLU and its Foundation.

User Agreement    Privacy Policy