The Development Associate at the ACLU of Alabama is responsible for providing administrative support in all facets of the organization’s resource development work including membership, major gifts, planned giving, events, foundation relations, and donor services.
The Associate will manage the donor database, so must be somewhat familiar with database functionality and reporting, as well as have keen attention to detail. The Associate will process and acknowledge gifts/donations in a timely and personalized manner, coordinate donor mailings, and help plan events. The associate may also support grant writing and administration. Because the position is both external and internal facing, the Associate should be proficient in providing friendly customer service to diverse constituencies in the state of Alabama and be able to work as part of a team in a collaborative, cross-functional environment.
Location: Birmingham/Montgomery | Virtual
Timeline: Open until posting is removed. We will begin the review process of applications on June 10.
Salary: The starting salary for this position is $60,000. The ACLU of Alabama offers an excellent benefits package including employer paid health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance, 401k match, 14 paid holidays, a generous paid vacation/sick leave policy, and a flexible work schedule (as appropriate for the position).
Reporting Relationship and Organizational Impact:
- Reporting Structure:
- Immediate Supervisor: Development Director
- Department Head: Development Director
- Manager or Non-Manager Role: Non-Manager
Professional and Personal Competencies:
- Ability to communicate clearly and cordially in written and spoken format
- Attention to detail to ensure accuracy in communications, data entry, and reports
- Ability to juggle and prioritize many concurrent tasks, adapt quickly to changing priorities, and meet moving deadlines
- Ability to assess systems and processes to improve efficiency and effectiveness
- Ability to provide friendly customer service
- Ability to identify sensitive situations and handle with discretion
- Ability to work well with people and as part of a team in a collaborative environment
- Ability to build genuine, meaningful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to understand and work within an integrated advocacy model
- Experience with database functionality and ability to apply logic to troubleshoot database issues and enhance database capabilities
- Intermediate proficiency in MS Outlook, MS Word, and MS Excel, including mail merge functions
- Skilled at designing and pulling reports from a donor database and the ability to see and analyze trends, and calculate and interpret results
- Advanced written communication skills with the ability to write engagingly and/or persuasively
- Advanced proficiency in Excel
- Experience with Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) software, preferably Salesforce
- Familiarity with basic website content updating
- Basic experience in event management
- Understanding of the purpose and inner workings of a nonprofit development department
- High School Diploma, GED, or successful completion of pre-hire math and writing assessment
- Associate or bachelor's degree, in any field
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage/Execute Development Operations – 35%
- Maintain proficiency in ACLU nationwide constituent relationship management systems, including research and reporting tools.
- Enter all contributions in the donor database and produce donation acknowledgement letters in a timely and personalized manner.
- Provide superior customer service to supporters seeking information, changes to contact preferences, etc.
- Work with the Operations Department to coordinate reconciliation with accounting records, and audit support.
- Ensure that donor database is accurate and up to date. Perform data clean-up projects to ensure records are accurate and consistent. Record donor information and interactions
- Produce necessary reports and mailing lists.
- Manage membership and member relations – 30%
- Acknowledge and welcome new members.
- Produce recurring reports from donor database.
- Coordinate with Advocacy and Communications staff to share member information and donor engagement records to ensure a seamless constituent experience. Coordinate logistics, ticketing, sponsorships, venue, catering, and invitations for donor/member events.
- Assist in drafting/designing donor communications and coordinate/execute mailings.
- Support major gifts, planned giving, and foundation giving programs – 30%
- Assist Development Director and Executive Director in managing a portfolio of approximately 100-200 potential major donors by maintaining donor records and producing reports.
- Assist in identifying potential major donors and planned giving prospects.
- Research foundation prospects and maintain accurate foundation records, including online charity profiles.
- Assist development and program staff in preparing grant applications.
- Ensure accurate record-keeping of grant application materials, deadlines, payment schedules, and required reports.
- Administrative Support – 5%
- Perform occasional reception duties including occasional meetings with office guests.
- Update development content on website.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This job is primarily sedentary work which requires extended periods of sitting and/or standing in an office setting.
- This job occasionally requires lifting to 30 pounds, standing for extended periods, and other event-related activities.
- Ability to adjust schedule to work or attend occasional evening/weekend events.
Occasional travel in Alabama. Limited travel in the United States.
Please submit a letter of interest, current resume and salary requirements via email to: [email protected] with “Development Associate” in the subject field.
The ACLU of Alabama is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, non-binary and transgender individuals. Any candidates requesting accommodations may either contact us above, or an independent 3rd party at [email protected] or (256)272-9555 and dialing ext. 9.
DISCLAIMER: Nothing in this job description restricts the Executive Director's right to assign other duties or responsibilities to this job at any time.
The ACLU of Alabama is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status and commits to comply with all applicable equal opportunity and nondiscrimination laws and to refrain from unlawful discrimination.
ACLU of Alabama Background:
The ACLU of Alabama is one of the nation’s foremost defenders of civil liberties and civil rights. We are a part of the American Civil Liberties Union, a nonprofit nonpartisan organization with 51 local affiliates across the country. Our mission is to protect and advance the rights guaranteed in the Bill of Rights and the US Constitution by working through public education, legislative advocacy, and litigation.
The ACLU of Alabama comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union of Alabama, and the ACLU Foundation of Alabama. Both entities have the same overall mission and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. The ACLU Foundation of Alabama is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation that primarily engages in litigation and public education. The ACLU of Alabama is a 501(c)(4) non-profit corporation that primarily engages in lobbying and advocacy.