The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Foundation of Alabama seeks a Finance and Operations Director who must have solid financial, communication, technology, analytical and management skills. This role will be responsible for maintaining all accounting, financial processes, internal controls, and reporting. These functions will be performed in order to support the Affiliate’s goal of protecting the liberties that define our democracy.
The Finance & Operations Director ensures that the organization has the structure and resources necessary to achieve its vision. The Director will help operationalize the Affiliate’s culture by creating systems and controls that will ensure efficiency and accuracy around the Affiliate’s critical finance, operations, and administrative needs. The Finance & Operations Director also participates in setting organizational goals and priorities, implementing a personnel management system, developing and managing the Affiliate’s budget.
The Finance and Operations Director reports to the Executive Director.
Finance & Compliance
- Draft, design and oversee creation of an annual budget and the execution of a budget management plan to ensure all teams meet budget goals, are apprised of their expenditures, and ensure compliant fiscal stewardship of our organization and are driving toward affiliate vision and priorities.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, establish financial and operating benchmarks, department budgets, program monitoring, and reporting standards on an ad-hoc, monthly, and annual basis.
- Develop and implement efficient and thorough internal processes for the collection of useful financial information and other metrics, report regularly on cash flow, and create and maintain mid-to-long term financial models for making management decisions.
- Supervise the work of other finance staff and contractors on all accounting and reconciliation tasks, and the tracking of time and expenses necessary for compliance with IRS requirements for charitable and social welfare organizations.
- Maintain overall financial oversight for accounts payable, payroll, and credit card systems.
- Oversee and ensure the accuracy of all accounts receivable and accounts payable processes.
- Maintain internal control safeguards for the handling of revenue, recording of expenses, banking, and payment processing.
- Oversee the annual revenue reconciliation with the national office. Lead the annual financial audit as the primary liaison with third-party auditors and ensure compliance with the ACLU of Alabama accounting procedures and policies manual.
- Provide financial reports for the Board of Directors, including budget variance analysis and summaries of Affiliate investment and reserves balances.
Operations, Risk Management & Personnel
- Set the vision and bar for excellence on all operations-related processes and needs, ensuring that we have best-in- class office space, technology, internal communications, strategic planning, and administrative systems that touch and support staff members and external stakeholders.
- Oversee development of risk management program designed to identify potential threats to the ACLU
- of Alabama and develop strategies for minimizing those risks.
- Supervise the maintenance of all contracts, insurance policies, and professional registrations.
- Develop strong operations, logistics, systems, and compliance on the day-to-day level, while also anticipating longer-term needs.
- Support the Executive Director in establishing systems around various personnel goals around equity, retention, and engagement.
- Partner with the Executive Director to create new and relevant personnel policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required preferably in Accounting, Business, or related field.
- Experience working in a non-profit, advocacy or political organization.
- A commitment to diversity and an ability to work collaboratively and successfully with people and organizations regardless of their race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstances.
- Interest in team culture building
- Advanced QuickBooks and Excel experience.
- A strong commitment to follow-through and meeting deadlines.
- Should possess working knowledge of regulatory standards, including generally accepted accounting principles, 501c3 and 501c4 rules and regulations, including use of the 501h election.
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to process and calculate payroll including garnishments and benefits deductions.
- Good understanding of various employee benefit plans (i.e., FSA, HSA, & 401K) and their related effect on federal and state payroll tax calculations is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU of Alabama: $70,000 - $80,000. Benefits include medical and disability insurance, 401(k) and vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
Please submit a letter of interest, current resume, and salary requirements via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Finance and Operations Director” in the subject field.
The ACLU of Alabama is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, non-binary and transgender individuals.