The ACLU of Alabama seeks a full-time Paralegal to support its Legal Department. The ACLU of Alabama's Legal Department litigates in trial and appellate courts at the state and federal levels to protect civil rights and liberties. The Legal Department maintains an active litigation docket with a particular focus on protecting the liberties that define our democracy.
- Review requests for legal assistance and responds under the direction of the Legal Director.
- Travel to correctional institutions throughout Alabama and conduct interviews with people seeking legal assistance.
- Maintain a database of requests for legal assistance and track trends within the requests.
- Organize and maintain electronic and hard copy legal case files, including legal filings, discovery documents, attorney correspondence, client-related files, and other case-related documents.
- Prepare and update case summaries outlining case status and upcoming events.
- Maintain a calendar of legal filing deadlines, discovery deadlines, and other case-related events.
- Assist members of the Legal Department to set and meet internal and external task deadlines and log and track time records by effectively using case management software.
- Participate in litigation and department meetings to assist in ensuring internal and external deadlines are clearly communicated and met.
- Assist in preparing and filing legal pleadings; schedule depositions; arrange for service of legal documents; prepare and serve discovery documents; prepare internal status reports; prepare deposition summaries.
- Assist legal staff in preparing materials for court hearings, depositions, or client meetings.
- Research most current federal and state court rules and procedures; as needed, communicate with court staff to resolve filing and clerical issues.
- Handle general administrative duties that include: processing litigation invoices; tracking litigation expenses and case costs; and coordinating the scheduling of litigation events (depositions, mediations, etc.) with legal staff, clients, co-counsel, opposing counsel, and court reporters.
- As needed, serve as a liaison with co-counsel, clients, opposing counsel, and court staff including but not limited to responding to calls, drafting emails, and letters, and ensuring timely receipt or delivery of records and file documents.
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to travel throughout Alabama
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Strong research and writing abilities.
- Excellent oral and verbal interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team while maintaining a high-level efficiency and respect towards others in difficult situations.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Excel, and ability to learn new computer platforms.
- Experience creating tables of contents, table of authorities, mail merges, organizing data into spreadsheets, and creating pivot tables, etc.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU of Alabama: $50,000 - $60,000. Benefits include medical and disability insurance, 401(k) and vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
Please submit a letter of interest, current resume, and salary requirements via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Paralegal” in the subject field.
The ACLU of Alabama is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, non-binary and transgender individuals.