HB 248 establishes a felony criminal penalty for a physician who fails to preserve the life of the fetus. This reinforces a false and unsubstantiated myth by requiring that a fetus born alive following the administering of an abortion procedure must receive life-preserving care.
HB 248 was introduced by Rep. Shaver on February 13, 2020. It was assigned to the House Judiciary committee where it was amended before being favorably passed out of committee on March 12, 2020. It has been sent to the Alabama House floor and is now pending House floor action.
- 3/11/2020 - Alabama bill requiring care for babies born alive after abortions advances [AL.com]
- 3/11/2020 - Alabama House committee approves anti-infanticide bill [Yellowhammer News]
- 3/11/2020 - Doctors call new Alabama abortion bill ‘medically implausible’ [AL.com]
- 2/26/2020 - Alabama lawmakers to consider these 12 bills affecting women [AL.com]
- 2/12/2020 - ‘Born alive’ bill introduced again in Alabama House [WSFA]