This bill would prohibit K-12 athletic events that allow athletes to compete against athletes of a different biological gender, unless the event specifically includes both genders. It also prohibits the use of state, municipal, or country property for athletic events that allow athletes to compete against athletes of a different biological gender, unless the event specifically includes both genders.
This bill was introduced by Rep. Pringle on February 4, 2020. It was assigned to the House State Government committee where a public hearing was held on February 10, 2020 and Februrary 19, 2020. It was favorably passed out of committee on Februrary 19, 2020 and sent to the Alabama House floor. It is now pending House floor action.
ACLU of Alabama Comment
“Transgender girls are girls, and transgender boys are boys. Alabama lawmakers are considering legislation that runs counter to medical science, prevailing standards for the treatment of transgender youth and basic human dignity. The government shouldn’t threaten medical providers with jail for treating transgender kids and schools shouldn’t discriminate against them when it comes to participation in school sports. HB303 and HB35 are dangerous, discriminatory and put kids at risk.”
- 2/23/2020 - Dozens of anti-LGBTQ state bills already proposed in 2020, advocates warn [NBC News]
- 2/20/2020 - Alabama lawmakers advance bill banning transgender athletes in K-12 sports [Alabama Political Reporter]
- 2/19/2020 - Alabama lawmakers advance bill aimed at transgender athletes - [AP News]
- 2/19/2020 - ‘Politically motivated,’ ‘bigoted’ ‘harmful’: How transgender student athlete bill is stoking criticism in Alabama and beyond [AL.com]
- 2/14/2020 - Transgender student-athlete bill in Alabama stalls in House - [Washington Times]
- 2/13/2020 - Alabama bill to restrict transgender high school athletic participation stalls - [AL.com]
- 2/10/2020 - Alabama House committee fails to advance ‘Gender is Real Legislative’ (GIRL) Act [Yellowhammer News]
- 2/10/2020 - 6 states considering legislation to restrict transgender student athletes [Outsports]
- 2/9/2020 - Alabama lawmaker aims to keep transgender athletes off school teams [AL.com]