This bill would:
- allow a registered voter to vote by absentee ballot without an excuse.
- extend the deadline for absentee ballot applications.
- eliminate the requirement that an absentee ballot must be postmarked as of the date prior to the day of the election.
We support this bill.
On February 10, HB 396 was read and assigned to the House Constitution, Campaigns and Elections Committee where it pended committee action. On May 17, HB 396 failed due to the legislative session being officially declared "sine die", or in other words finished.
- 3/3/21 - House bill allowing no excuse absentee voting carried over [WAFF]
- 3/1/21 - Rep. Hall files bill to "authorize absentee voting without excuse" [WZDX]
- 2/24/21 - Bill would allow no-excuse absentee voting [Alabama Daily News]
For More Information
Click the play button below to see more information about HB 396 and other priority voting rights bills — including where it is in the Legislature, the latest versions, and how you can sign up for e-mail updates from Fast Democracy.
Page last revised: May 21, 2021