These companion bills would criminalize medical professionals who provide gender-affirming healthcare to transgender youth, require school personnel to out transgender children to their parent(s) or guardian(s), and strip away parents’ or guardians' rights to make decisions, under guidance from trained medical professionals, that are in the best interest of their children.
On February 2, HB 1 was read and assigned to the House Judiciary Committee. On February 24, it passed out of committee with one amendment. It has been sent to the Alabama House where it eventually stalled due to the movement of companion bill SB 10.
On February 2, SB 10 was read and assigned to the Senate Healthcare Committee. It passed out of committee and was sent to the Alabama Senate. On March 2, it passed out of the Alabama Senate with a 23-4 vote count. It was sent to the Alabama House and assigned to the House Health Committee. On March 16, it passed out of committee and was sent to the House floor. On May 17, SB 10 failed due to the legislative session being officially declared "sine die", or in other words finished.
- ACTION ALERT: CONTACT ALABAMA LAWMAKERS NOW!
- DIGITAL TOOLKIT: POST YOUR PROTEST
- DIGITAL TOOLKIT: #ProtectTransKids
- 5/18/21 - Transgender treatment ban fails in Alabama Legislature [CBS News]
- 5/18/21 - Bill to ban treatments for transgender minors dies before coming to the House floor [Alabama Political Reporter]
- 5/10/21 - Doctor: Alabama lawmakers want to punish me for treating transgender youth [Montgomery Advertiser]
- 5/10/21 - I’m a doctor and Alabama could arrest me for doing my job [AL.com]
- 4/29/21 - Alabama’s transgender healthcare ban would face swift lawsuit [Alabama Political Reporter]
- 4/28/21 - Lambda Legal, ACLU, and ACLU of Alabama to Challenge State Ban on Gender-Affirming Care for Trans Youth - [Los Angeles Blade]
- 3/28/21 - Alabama Trans Youth Dismayed By State's Effort To Block Medical Care [NPR]
- 3/5/21 - Elliot Page Blasts “Dangerous” Bill Forcing Schools to Out Trans Students to Their Parents [them]
- 3/4/21 - Will the Alabama Legislature ever learn and stop passing unconstitutional bills? [Montgomery Advertiser]
- 3/3/21 - Alabama Senate Votes to Ban Gender-Affirming Care for Minors [The Advocate]
- 2/24/21 - Committee approves bill to ban transgender treatments for minors in Alabama [AL.com]
- 2/24/21 - Alabama House committee approves bill criminalizing some treatments for transgender youth [Montgomery Advertiser]
- 2/22/21 - Opinion: Trans youth do not belong in the shadows [Alabama Political Reporter]
- 2/17/21 - Alabama Could Be About to Force Teachers to Out Trans Students to Their Parents [them]
- 2/12/21 - Alabama Senate committee votes to criminalize treatment for transgender minors [Alabama Political Reporter]
- Doctors Agree: Gender-Affirming Care is Life-Saving Care
- Comment on HB 1 passing House Judiciary Committee
- Comment on SB 10 passing Senate Health Committee
- Following the 2021 Legislative Session
For More Information
Click the play button below to see more information about HB 1, SB 10, and other priority LGBTQ+ rights bills — including where they are in the Legislature, the latest versions, and how you can sign up for e-mail updates from Fast Democracy.
Page last revised: May 21, 2021