Tuesday, December 12, 2017 is Alabama's next chance to vote. This statewide election is to select the US Senator that will fill the seat vacated by Jeff Sessions when he became Attorney General. 


CALL 334-420-1748. If you have a complaint about voting on Election Day, call our hotline to leave a message. This is not intended to offer assistance of legal advice. 

The Ballot

If you live in Limestone, Montgomery, or Morgan County, you may be able to receive 2 ballots. State House District 4 and State Senate District 26 will be holding primary elections on December 12, in addition to the US Senate Special Election. If you want to participate in both elections, you will need to do the following:

  1. Check in to vote in the US Senate general election between Doug Jones (D) and Roy Moore (R). 
  2. Fill out ballot for the US Senate general election. Turn ballot in. 
  3. Then, check in the vote in the State primary election. You will have to choose a party to receive a ballot. Preview a sample ballot online at the Secretary of State's website. Note: The crossover voting law does not apply unless there is a runoff for the primary. 
  4. Fill out ballot for the State primary. Turn ballot in. 


November 27 is the last day to register to vote

  • If you have an Alabama driver's license or Alabama non-driver ID, you can register online at alabamavotes.gov
  • If you live in Alabama and do not have an Alabama ID, you can register by mail or in person by contacting your county's Board of Registrars

December 7 is the last day to apply for an absentee ballot.

  • Mail or hand deliver your application to your county Absentee Manager.
  • You can also complete your absentee ballot in person if you will be out of the county on Election Day.

Alabama Senate election infographic

Inactive Status

Check your voting status online at alabamavotes.gov. If your status is inactive, update your registration information

If you arrive to your polling location and are told you are "inactive," you can still cast a regular ballot if you have not moved and are at the correct polling place for your current address. You may be asked to update your registration information. Read more about inactive statuses at alabamavotes.gov

If you have moved or your polling place has changed, you can cast a provisional ballot. However, in order for the provisional ballot to be counted, it must be cast at the correct location. A poll worker should be able to assist you. 

Crossover Voting

Alabama's new crossover voting law only applies to primary elections. Any registered, Alabama voter can vote for any candidate during the general election

Voter ID Requirements

On December 12, bring one of the following items with you or include a copy with your absentee ballot when you mail it. 

  • Driver's license (any state)
  • Alabama non-driver ID
  • Alabama photo voter ID
  • State issued ID (any state)
  • Federal issued ID, such as a US passport
  • Employee ID from US government or any entity of Alabama
  • Student or employee ID from a post-high school institution in the state of Alabama
  • Military ID
  • Tribal ID
  • Prison ID

If an eligible voter doesn't have a valid ID and is positively identified by 2 election officials, the officials can state this in a sworn affidavit so that the voter can cast a regular ballot. 

If an eligible voter doesn't have a valid ID, they may cast a provisional ballot. The voter then has until 5pm on the Friday after the election to submit a valid photo ID. Otherwise, the ballot will not be counted.

On Election Day

Election Day is December 12. Polls will be open from 7am to 7pm. 

  • Find your polling place online or by calling the Alabama Secretary of State at 1-800-274-8683. 
  • If you can, vote early in the day to avoid long lines. 
  • If you are in line by 7pm when the polls close, stay in line. You have the right to vote. 

While at the polls, you have the right to:

  • Vote with privacy or confidentiality. 
  • Ask for and/or receive help when going to vote, as long as that person is not an employer or union representative. 
  • Be free from intimidation from campaigners. They must be at least 30 feet from the polling place.
  • Have a fully ADA compliant and accessible polling place. If you do not, you may be eligible to vote by absentee ballot.
  • Cast a ballot even if your voting status is "inactive." You will simply be asked to update your voter registration information.
  • Complete a provisional ballot if they cannot find your name on the voter rolls.
  • Contact the Alabama Secretary of State at 1-800-274-8683 to lodge a compliant or if you think your rights have been violated.

Know your right while you are voting infographic

Additional Resources

Know Your Rights: Voting Rights
How To: Restore Your Voting Rights | Empower Voters with the Voting Rights Toolkit
ACLU National: Voting Rights | Voter Intimidation