Based on the Alabama Constitution, people who commit "crimes of moral turpitude" lose their right to vote. Some may be eligible to restore their voting rights. A new law passed in 2017 defined a list of 46 crimes that result in loss of voting rights. If you have not been convicted of one of these crimes, then you do not need restoration because you are still eligible to vote. While some criminal convictions on the list require a full pardon in order to vote, most are eligible for an expedited process to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility to Register to Vote (CERV). This page is not a substitute for legal advice.

To register to vote, update your registration information for a change of name or address, find your polling place, and learn about voter ID requirements, visit

Ineligible Convictions

If you have been convicted of one of the following:

  • Murder
  • Rape
  • Sodomy (any degree)
  • Sexual abuse (any degree)
  • Sexual torture
  • Incest
  • Parents/guardians permitting children to engage in obscene matter
  • Production of obscene matter involving a minor
  • Production or possession of obscene matter
  • Possession with intent to distribute child pornography
  • Enticing a child to enter a vehicle for immoral purposes
  • Soliciting a child by computer
  • Impeachment
  • Treason

Then you have an ineligible conviction, which are defined in Section 15-22-36. 1 (g). You can only apply to restore your voting rights IF you are granted a full pardon by the Board of Pardons and Paroles. Treason and Impeachment are not pardonable offenses. 

Crimes of Moral Turpitude

If you have not been convicted of one of the above and been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude, including but not limited to one of the following:

  • Theft of property (1st and 2nd degree)
  • Burglary (1st and 2nd degree)
  • Robbery (1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree)
  • Forgery (1st and 2nd degree)

Learn how to apply to restore your voting rights.

Then you will need to apply to restore your voting rights. This is not a complete list. View the full list of crimes of moral turpitude.

If you have lost your right to vote for a crime that was deemed a crime of moral turpitude at the time but is not on the list passed by the Definition of Moral Turpitude Act, then you do NOT need to apply to restore your voting rights. Your rights have been automatically restored. However, you must re-register with your local registrar office or online at

Other Convictions

If you have not been convicted of a prohibitive felony or a crime of moral turpitude, or if you were determined to be a youthful offender at the time of your conviction, then you have NEVER lost your voting rights. That includes but is not limited to convictions for the following:

  • Misdemeanors
  • Felony DUIs
  • Driving while suspended
  • Possession of a controlled substance for personal use
  • Possession of marijuana for personal use
  • Fraudulent use of a credit card
  • Receiving stolen property
  • Domestic violence
  • Attempted murder
  • Obstructing justice with a false identity
  • Indecent exposure

If you are currently incarcerated for one of these offenses, you can still vote. See the Sheriff or Warden to obtain a voter registration card or an absentee ballot. 

Frequently Asked Questions


We have also created resources to help people and organizations that are interested in assisting with voting rights restoration. 

Other Organizations

Page last revised: May 1, 2018