The 2020 Alabama Legislative Session convened on Tuesday, February 4, 2020. Session was officially declared "sine die", or in other words finished, on Monday, May 18, 2020.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is my legislator and how do I contact them?
- When are upcoming legislative workshops and lobby days?
- How can I get involved with the Alabama legislature?
- How does a bill become a law?
- Where can I sign up for weekly email updates?
- How do I navigate the ALISON Database?
Bills of Note
- SB 59 - Propose a Constitutional amendment that would require reasonable bail in all cases unless a person is charged with a capital offense or offenses enumerated by the legislature
- SB 219 - Denies gender-affirming medical care by a physician and criminalize such care from providers
- HB 303 - Denies gender-affirming medical care by a physician and criminalize such care from providers
- HB 35 - Ban trans youth from K-12 athletic events
- SB 107 - Prohibit the issuance of business licenses without proof of E-verify for employees
- SB 108 - Make it a crime and provide penalties for Alabama sanctuary cities
- HB 81/HB 113 - Proposes a constitutional amendment that, if enacted, would result in significantly widening Alabama’s detention net.
- HB 373 - Deems body camera footage as not a public record and deems that such records should only be disclosed in certain circumstances
- HB 248 - Establishes a felony criminal penalty for a physician who fails to preserve the life of the fetus
- HB 56 - Prohibit sale of drugs and paraphernalia near schools and churches
- HB 238 - Require a man to undergo a vasectomy within one month of his 50th birthday or the birth of his third biological child
- HB 55 - Require information on how to respond to law enforcement stops in the Alabama Driver's Manual and other licensing examination materials
- HB 71 - Updates the current curriculum and requirements for teaching sex education to Alabama students.
- HB 160 - Prohibits license suspensions for unpaid fines and fees in certain circumstances
Navigate the Alabama Legislature Website
Page last revised: March 13, 2020