The 2018 Alabama Legislative Session convened on Tuesday, January 9. Check back here for updates on bills, upcoming events, and other information during legislative session.
Learn more about how a bill becomes a law in Alabama, what you can do to influence the process, and how you can get through to your legislator in our "How To: Get Involved with the Alabama Legislature" guide.
If you are interested in receiving periodic emails to let you know what's happening and if there are urgent action alerts on bills, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the list.
Bills of Note
- SB31 - Municipal Bail (support)
- SB84 - Racial Profiling (support)
- SB117 - Same Day Voter Registration (support)
- SB251/HB272 - Reclassification of Marijuana Possession (support)
- HB94 - Protester Felony (oppose)
- HB258 - Creationism in Schools (oppose)
- SB198 - Ban the Box (support)
- SB269 - Youth Protection Act (support)
- HB52 - Abortion Consent (oppose)
- SB13 - Marriage Licenses (neutral)
Navigate the Alabama Legislature Website
Check the ALISON Database frequently, as bills are filed throughout session. On ALISON, you can search for a bill by committee, sponsor, status, subject, or keyword.
Check the committee meeting calendar frequently, as it is updated regularly and sometimes suddenly. Committee meetings are always open to the public, but you are not allowed to speak unless there is a public hearing. The agenda will show whether there is a public hearing scheduled for a particular bill. Some meetings will have audio and/or video available through the website so you can listen from home.
To request a public hearing, you must contact the committee clerk before the bill is scheduled on the committee's calendar. To find the clerk's contact information, scroll to the bottom of the page for the committee that the bill has been assigned to. PLEASE NOTE: If you request a public hearing, you MUST be in attendance or the committee may cancel the hearing.
Not sure who your legislator is? Find your elected representatives in Alabama.
- Alabama Arise's 2018 Issue Priorities
- Alabama Appleseed's 2018 Pre-Session Report
- POWER House's Power to the People: Learn the Lege, 2018 Alabama Legislature Guide